Friday, May 21, 2010

Happy Family Day!

Something seems to have gone wonky with blogger (operator error?) and the post I’d planned seems to have gone MIA.

So instead of continuing our regular programming…I’ll just say today is my son’s family day.

Some people call it "Gothcha Day" or "Adoption Day", but each year, like other families, we celebrate the day my kids entered our family. Generally it’s pretty low key. We go out to eat at their choice of restaurant and the kids receive a small treat like flowers or balloons.

I try to make it not be another “birthday” with a party and presents, but a deeper, closer family time. Their birthdays, while a celebration for them, are bittersweet for me. Because it is on that day I know their birthmothers are thinking about them and wondering where they are and what they’re doing. It is a reminder for me that this life I love is built on someone else’s sacrifice. Someone else’s tears.

But for me, their family days are pure joy. It was the day my dreams came true.

I love to hear about other families traditions. How do you/will you celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment